Materiaalgids/ Freeride skis
Our 5 tips to choosing your Freeride skis
You want to buy a pair of skis dedicated to freeride? You're struggling to understand what is going on with all the technologies? You do not know which radius to choose? Here are some tips to help you make your decision and select the skis that suit you best.
1) Select your skis according to your off piste level
It is important to choose a ski that suits your level, in order to enjoy yourself and make the most out of skiing without getting tired.
- Newbie: You're managing on the slopes and you like practicing skiing in all conditions. Sometimes you ski next to the slopes, never too stiff.
- Intermediate: You’re starting to feel the real thrills of off-piste skiing, you feel more comfortable doing turns in fresh snow, not too steep.
- Confirmed: Regardless of the stiffness, you are able to go anywhere; you’re willing to hunt for the best fresh snow to make the first tracks.
- Expert: You ski in extreme conditions, you ride in any conditions or snow, and you’re a powder addict, love jumping cliffs and long hikes.
2) Select the right camber for your skis
The camber is the longitudinal of the ski. The zone called Rocker is the part raised relative to the snow.
3) Give importance to the weight of your skis
The weight of a ski is very important, the more a ski is heavy, the less it will be easy to use and it will be less reactive. It is then necessary to find a compromise between lightness and rigidity: choose light skis but still stiff enough for the pow.
4) Select the waist width according to your ski habits
Freeride skis have a waist wider than the skate ski track. Generally referred to as dedicated to freeride skis starting at 90-95 mm waist.
5) Select the size of your skis
Once you have chosen a ski it is necessary to choose the size. Usually, it will be easier for a beginner with a smaller ski then that expert skiers, who will prefer a longer ski for more lift and stability at high speed skiing.
- 100% freeride? SQUAD 7
- 80% freeride 20% slopes ? SUPER 7
- 60% freeride 40% slopes? SOUL 7 / SIN 7 / SMASH 7
- Junior 60% freeride 40% slopes? S7 PRO